Friday, October 29, 2010

And Finally... We Have A Demi-Glace!

I have successfully completed the demi-glace right-of-passage.  To be honest, I'm not entirely sure of the quality of my demi-glace since I have yet to sample a demi-glace on its own, but I have a feeling that this is pretty close to the real thing.  I now see just how much easier this would have been with just a touch of cornstarch, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  So I reduced.  All the way down.  It took me two stages.  After the first session of reducing, I ended up with probably 4 cups of liquid which, after refrigeration, was nearly solid.  I heated that back up again and reduced it down to 2 cups, an effort which seemed to take quite a bit longer.


Needless to say, after all the roasting of bones, prepping of mire poix, bundling of bouquet garni, endless skimming and simmering and skimming and skimming, reducing and reducing, I ended up with my beautifully dark, velvety rich demi-glace.


The finished product was added to ice cube trays and will be frozen for later use in soups, sauces, etc...




And on that note I'm going to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment