Monday, March 29, 2010

Good Medicine

I should start this post out with a solemn warning:  the following entry has been soaked in Nyquil.  Proceed at your own risk.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with something akin to walking death.  Of course, I did what I always do when my not-so-trusty immune system lets me down:  I went straight to my favorite Vietnamese/Lao restaurant (Pho Lena) and got some therapeutic pho-to-go.  I have a lot of faith in the healing properties of pho, or at least in its placebo effect.  Shortly after a good dose of soup accompanied by Family Guy, I took some Nyquil and sat down to write this post.

Sticking with the theme of soup, I thought I'd recount my adventures with crock-pottery from last week.  My friend Kat had decided to host a What-A-Crock party to which we were all supposed to bring something created in a CrockPot.  I decided to make a pot roast, but realized I had some pork tenderloin hanging out in my freezer.  My plan was to cook the tenderloin along with some apples for a couple of hours and then cut it up to serve it.  I added a bit of chicken stock, some balsamic vinegar, freshly chopped sage and some frozen blueberries, and then I walked away.  For a while.  When I came back to it, I had two large pork tenderloins surrounded by a soup-like mixture with some barely recognizable apples.  I decided to run with it and I tried to cut up the meat into small pieces.  I ended up shredding it into what appeared to be pork spaghetti.  This clearly wouldn't suffice.  I attacked it with some kitchen shears and attempted to cut up the lengthy pork strands.  I ended up with a tasty little stew to which I added a few raw blueberries, some fresh sage and a sprinkle of gorgonzola.  It was a hit.  If I were to try to replicate this accident all over, I'd cut up the pork into bite-sized pieces before it lost it's structure, and I'd add some gorgonzola earlier in the process while saving some for the final plating.  The combination of colors from the sage, blueberries and gorgonzola was refreshing.  The soup itself was extremely healthy, with the only added fat being that from the tenderloin (which clearly wasn't much).

I'll definitely be serving it again, just without the pork spaghetti stage.

And on that note, I shall surrender to the Nyquil...

No comments:

Post a Comment